Follow mikeobrien_fton on Twitter


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

N.S. man so impressed by trail, he says he wants to move to city
(excerpts from article published in The Daily Gleaner, August 17/10)

Roddy Wall of Dartmouth is so impressed with Fredericton's walking trail system, he and his wife Marilyn are prepared to put the for sale sign on their Nova Scotia home and move to the capital city.

"I've never seen anything like this. It's fantastic. We have nothing like this in Nova Scotia," Wall said after spending the past three weeks running the paths on a scooter. Even the trails in the city that aren't paved are in great shape, he said.

Wall and his wife are visiting relatives Scott and Wendy Clair in Marysville and what was supposed to be a short weekend reunion has turned into an extended stay. Wall had a massive heart attack in 1994 after undergoing a major bypass operation that was complicated by a stroke. That affected his equilibrium, walking and vision. "It just left me literally in bed; I was housebound," he said.

"The trail gives the disabled accessibility to the city. These trails got me up, got me out, got me going. If I want to go shopping by myself in my scooter anywhere in the city, that's far beyond my imagination back in Nova Scotia."

The trail isn't the only thing that impressed Wall. "The people I've met are just out of this world," he said. "I'm looking for a place up here in Fredericton. We are planning on moving up here ... I want to get up here and enjoy these trails while I can."

To read the entire article, click on http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/1179032

No comments: